His exploits which included trail-biking, fell running, horse-riding, quad-biking, kayaking, sailing and wild swimming were all captured on film and are at the heart of a year-long campaign ‘WILD ABOUT ARGYLL’ which will be shown in cinemas, on TV, online and outdoor on digital screens through the central belt of Scotland.
Award winning folk fusion band Skerryvore released the soundtrack to the campaign LIVE FOREVER to wide acclaim last week and their new single is already topping the charts.
The Poor Law Commissioners authorised an expenditure of £5,650 on construction of the building which was to accommodate 400.
[Up to 1834] [After 1834] [Staff] [Inmates] [Records] [Bibliography] [Links] Putney had a workhouse from 1729.
Subsequent to this, paupers were accommodated at Castle Park. for the week 3rd April are paid to a number of casual Poor, mostly for children, but the average for the previous ten weeks was £5 12s. The weekly pensions to regular Out-Poor amounted to £6 2s. The weekly charge for bastards out of the house was 17s. At a charity school 50 boys and 30 girls are clothed and educated, and there is a free grammar school for children of every description. In 1803, a code of rules relating to the workhouse was drawn up for the guidance of the churchwardens and overseers.
The average annual poor-rate expenditure for the period 1833-35 had been £11,733 or 7s.10d. A new union workhouse was erected in 1836-8 at the east side of Sutton Road in Kidderminster.
It was designed by William Knight and J Nettleship.
The Poor are either relieved at home or maintained in a Workhouse, which is a commodious building, in an airy situation, and kept with great neatness and propriety. Each township subscribed towards the building according to the average amount of their poor rates during the previous three years. The population falling within the union at the 1831 census had been 26,906 with parishes and townships ranging in size from Fawcett Forrest (population 61) to Kendal itself (10,015).
[Up to 1834] [After 1834] [Staff] [Inmates] [Records] [Bibliography] [Links] The first mention of a workhouse in Kidderminster was in 1753 when it stood in Vicar Street. In about1784, a larger establishment was built on the nearby Vicarage meadow, approximately where Oxford Street is today.